Monday, March 26, 2012

Running in the Dark

With the weather getting back up to these beautiful, nice spring temperatures (in March no less!), I have started getting up before dawn to run. I started on my birthday or maybe a bit before then and have hardly missed a day.

You see, I sweat VERY LITTLE. Most of the time, I look the same before and after running the 4 1/2 miles I run daily. Seriously. When we were doing Insanity, I did not break a sweat most days. I was hot, it was vigorous, but I just did not sweat while Chris would be seriously drenched in sweat. Yes, I know, I am not normal.

Anyway, the point of me telling all of this leads me to the main reason I like to run in the predawn hours. It is beautiful, quiet, not as windy, and there is no sun to make me too hot. You see, if the sun in baring down on me, I get overheated quite quickly. I am known to run during daylight, but early morning daylight only. I love running in the morning because I am done and showered before the kids even get out of bed. I get my workout over with and I have not missed a beat.

With that said, I was half way done today when I was dreaming of going to bed tonight at 8:30 because I was so tired. I am a night owl, not an early riser. So, this getting up early stuff is for the birds (which are really neat to hear in the morning if I turn my ipod down). There are just a handful of people that I see out running in the mornings, but none every day. I try to change up my route a little, too, but usually see at least one person running and a dog walker or two. I am on the hunt for glow in the dark running clothes, but I am not entirely sure I want people to see me.

I used to be scared. But, with some many people typically out, it is not so bad. It is quite weird, however, that in this neighborhood, many street lights actually turn off as I approach them. What's up with that?!

I would like to be running 6 miles a day as I am now running the 4 1/2 miles in 36 minutes, which is about an 8 minute mile. That is pretty good for just running and not in training mode. However, I have extra time, so I would like to be getting in more active minutes. I am stuck within the borders of our neighborhood. So, I do not know how I can expand my mileage without expanding my borders. Maybe, someday when I run in the daylight, I will test out a new running route. But, in the dark, I just do not feel like doing that. Besides, I need to be back in time so Chris can head off to work.

It feels good to have my running shoes back on and be outside wearing them. Don't get me wrong, I am still going to Zumba, too, 3-4 times a week, because I am addicted to it. It is just too fun. There is Zumba and then there is running. I have to run. I have to Zumba.

Next, we are pushing ourselves to the next level...Insanity Asylum. Oh please...let me live through this regimen. We will start that maybe next week (maybe). I am scared to even think about it.

No comments: