Thursday, June 24, 2010

Towing Kids along to the Grocery Store

Ever taken your kids to the Grocery Store? I have, hundreds of times. However, I am finding it more difficult as they get older! Addison & Asher are great at the store. I actually think they enjoy going. But, Alivia, well - she is a little terror in public let me tell you.

Today, we began our day with a long walk around the lake (Alivia rode her bike) on our way to the playground at school. Bummer, the school care kids were outside playing so I did not think we should play. Our kids may be an added distraction for those teachers. So, we came home and I started mowing the backyard.

I have had a couple people comment on our backyard. "It's, um, weird." "It's not small, but odd." Sorry, it does not look like YOUR backyard. I think they are trying to tell me that theirs is better and I really do not care. We do have one large back AND front yard. It is massive. I don't know what we were thinking buying so much maintenance. If you do not believe me, try mowing it. It is weekly torture, I kid you not. It takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes mowing it with a self propelled push mower. I absolutely hate mowing it when it is hot. I am so hot and thirsty that I just want to get done. Rarely does anyone think to give me a drink (aka Chris). Oh, by the way, I mow and Chris trims and does the rest of the stuff. I just mow to help out outside since most of the work I can not do.

Anyway, I set the kids up with lemonade, play-doh, crayons and coloring books and outside toys and went to work. Those toys kept them busy through the backyard and then they were done. So, I guess I was done, too...for now. I will have to finish when it is good and steamy.

After a quick shower, we were off to the library. The kids joined the summer reading program at Papillion and have really enjoyed it. We read anyway, so what a good way to reward kids for what they do anyway. Week 1 they got McDonald's Happy Meals and a pass to go putt putt golfing. Week 2 they got an icecream cone from the DQ, roller skating passes, and passes to the Omaha Children's Museum. Week 3 they got 2 tickets each to an Omaha Royals Baseball game (that we will be sure to go to). Addison's name was even drawn in one of the weekly drawings where she got an extra prize package! They now love going to the library. We, since we are not officially in ANY city, have to pay $40 to actually check out books! I think that is totally crazy since we pay more than our fair share of taxes, so we have not officially joined. The kids and I just go and read books AT the library but can not bring the books home. The kids have gone to the wildlife event and plan to go to more children's events where a library card is not necessary. I am trying to promote reading here!

Next was our trip to the grocery store. I had just taken them a couple days ago for a quick trip and it went okay. So I thought I would try and go and finish my shopping. I need to go back to shopping at night. With the kids going to bed later during the summer, it is nearly 9 PM  or later before I can get to the store and after 10 to 10:30 when I get home. So much for relaxation.

This trip to the store did not go well. Addison sat up front of the cart and Alivia and Asher insisted on sitting in the cart itself (the big carts with seats were all taken and I find them to be a nightmare anyway). I tried to quickly throw food in the cart without hesitating too much. I think Alivia and Addison selected nearly every fruit in the fruit aisle. I can't say no to fruit. Addison sat fine up front, but Asher and Alivia were complete terrors. I took Asher out who cried. Alivia just stood in the aisle as I walked away. Seriously, I hope I was not this embarrassing when I was a kid...was I?

I left the store with a cart full of things not on the list and my list was only 1/4 crossed off. I will not be returning with 3 kids together for quite some time, if ever, if possible. As we left the store, I decided that we will starve before I return to the store with all three kids alone any time soon.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: