Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Visiting Great Grandma Marci

Today Addison, Asher and I went to visit Great Grandma Marci. Great Grandma (my Grandma) is 98 years old. She got up early this morning to get ready for our arrival at 10:30. That seemed like a good time for us. Alivia was so disappointed that she was unable to go with us!

We arrived on time and Grandma allowed us in her locked building. She lives in a retirement apartment. This is not assisted living nor is it a nursing home. It is an apartment that she fully owns (they have to buy it like a condo of sorts) and has to care for herself on her on. There is no question about it, she should not be living alone. But, Grandma likes living in her apartment and is refusing to give it up...for the moment.

We tried to catch up on things, but the pitch of my voice is one that she just can not hear. I really wanted to get out paper and write things down so we could "talk," but I held back. She was able to share pictures from 1964, recent pictures taken from her previous lake home at the Lake Okaboji, and tell me about her day to day activities. She is moving much slower than I have seen her move. It is so very sad. She is my only Grandma and Grandparent left living, and the thought of losing her breaks my heart. So, the kids and I decided to make our visits to Grandmas more frequent, and maybe start bringing in lunch, too.

We enjoyed our visit with Grandma Marci and look forward to seeing her again. We hope to go next time with my Mom so my mom can help me talk to her. I see a lunch date in our future.

Asher & Addi cuddling.Looking out at Grandma's View



Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: