Monday, April 12, 2010

April at the Forest

After taking Alivia to school today, Asher, Addison & I had a couple errands to run. At 9 am, we arrived at the forest. I was not sure how long we would stay since Addison was sick with the stomach flu last night. But, with temps reaching 80 degrees today, I wanted the kids to be able to enjoy it!

Oh, and what a fabulous morning to be at Fontenelle Forest! It was seriously beautiful! We first walked the boardwalk making our way around to Hickory Trail (we always take the same trail. I think next time we will try a new one). Addison and Asher, who had been running most of the boardwalk, skipped along the trail carefully. We made our way down to the Missouri River. My explanation of the River scared Addison so she wanted to go back to the trail (I told her I did not want them to touch the water because of how fast the river moves. I talked to them about the current and they watched as a stick was swiftly taken away. Okay...I am a little afraid of the river). Addison walked all the way back to the boardwalk with Asher and I walked closely behind. We could see the boardwalk before Asher asked, "Up!" I was pretty impressed with how far he walked (And Addison, too, who was sick just the night before!).

We walked up the boardwalk to Acorn Acres to enjoy some play time. It was quite busy as the morning progressed. By 11:30, we were starving after our morning of walking, running and playing. So, we set up a picnic on one of their tables under the trees. It is so beautiful there!

Funny, as we were walking away, another Mommy said to me, "Boy, you are getting your workout this morning." Humm...never thought of it as a workout (like I used to think of every Austin Adventure), I just thought it was a fun morning. Okay...it was still a workout. FYI...Pictures to follow as I can not get any of them to load.

Things to bring to the Forest:
Wear play clothes as the kids play in the dirt & dress in layers. It is always cooler in the forest.
Hand wipes
drinks, snacks and a picnic
Stroller, but for the boardwalk only. The dirt trails are NOT stroller friendly at all. I just park the stroller off to the side and hope it is there when I return. I have never had a problem...knock on wood.
Sunscreen

Hey Pretty BirdOn the BoardwalkCasually walkingRunning up hillPlaying in the dirtAsher makes musicAddi makes musicLet's Build Something


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: