Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mighty Kickers

Chris has been coaching Asher's Mighty Kicker team for 4 games. Now, Chris had big hopes when he decided to take on this team of 3 and 4 year olds. But really, these are 3 and 4 year olds. Today was brutal, painful, and a test of patience...and that was just for the parents watching! I can not imagine what it was like for Chris as the coach. I feel like I need to help, somehow, but I am not sure if I should be.

Today I encouraged the coach (aka Chris) to switch up the players a bit. Asher has been warming the turf more than playing. Chris said he did not want to make the parents mad. But, I am a parent, and I was mad! Chris was only playing Asher when he played t he star player, so Asher just watched the star player kick goals. Today, I was hopeful that Asher would try and touch the ball.

 Finally, the ball rolled up to Asher's feet. Asher stepped aside and looked at the little opponent, giving the opponent the eye as to say, "Go ahead, you can kick it." My Dad commented, "What a little gentleman." Really? I do not believe you are to describe a soccer player as a gentleman. But, I have never played the game. So, perhaps I have it all wrong. But I don't think so.

In summary of today's game: Asher did not touch the ball, one boy made maybe 5 goals for the other team and made a goal on a neighboring soccer field (so funny! He had endless energy, though. If he just could had found the right goal). One little boy thought the game was football, tackling many of the opponent players as well as his teammates. Really, it was difficult to watch. I got up once to run to the other field to call that child back into the game. It was so difficult to watch!

I believe Asher needs at least a year to grow, mature. Maybe we will try again when he is 5, or maybe when he is 6. Really, his parents need a break. :)


No comments: