Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Naptime Blues

Oh naptime. I knew it would end sooner or later, but I was not expecting it to end now!

Naptime: 12:15 storytime for 15 minutes. 12:30 Naptime. It used to be that they were both asleep by 1pm, until recently.

Addison is typically a good napper. She needs her nap, even at 3 1/2. She is really tired by 6pm if she skips her nap. She does not like to nap when Alivia is home and not napping, however. Asher, on the other hand, has always been okay without a nap if we are out running errands or something and he has to miss it. Even as a baby, he was not a big sleeper. But, he typically napped most afternoons well, from 1-3:30 or 4pm usually.

Within the last couple of weeks or maybe a month, Asher has began being quite ornery at naptime. I was staying in the upstairs putting away laundry or working on the laptop for a while. But, come on...I was getting NOTHING done. By the time I finally got Asher to fall asleep, Addison was awake. Gees!

So, this week, I started ignoring him. I came back downstairs and would do laundry, clean up the kitchen, scrub the floors, clean windows...ya know, the normal nothing stuff I busy myself doing during quiet time. However, it was quiet and I was having alone time (I will take it wherever I can get it). I have had to stop running on the treadmill during quiet time (aka naptime) because of Asher - so now I am forced back into doing it at night (when Alivia and Addison make me run up and down the stairs to get them to stay in bed). Anyway, I think I have been up and down the stairs (either from the main level or from the basement - so 1-2 large flights of stairs) at least 50 times. I am not exaggerating, either. I would get back down the stairs, fold a shirt or put away a dish and he would be up running around again, usually staying in his room (but I have caught him going into Addison's room and waking her up).

It is now 2:30. That is 2 hours after I laid him down for nap. And, he is still awake, now whining at me. I have taken away all of his books and any toys he was showing interest in (Addison usually takes a few books to bed to look at before she falls asleep. I am okay with that - if they fall asleep eventually).

I know...perhaps it is just time he skips the nap altogether. I would be okay with that, but I can not get him to wake up in the morning since he has started skipping the nap. I woke him yesterday at 8 and put him in the car in his PJs to take Alivia to school. He was so mad at me. Today, I woke him up a few minutes earlier because I had to get him dressed to go because he goes in with Addison and I to her school.

2:40 PM. He is asleep. Oh, that only took 2 hours and 10 minutes. Whew! Now I need a nap!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: