Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The 4 Holidays in a row this week: Fat Tuesday

It is weird that we have 4 Holidays in a row this week. First came Valentine's Day (love), then came President's Day (Hope?), and then today...Fat Tuesday. I will wait to call tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, the day of Faith. Fat Tuesday is the day we are to eat richer foods in preparation for the fasting of Lenten Season. When I tried to explain this to the kids, Alivia's response was, "But I don't want to get fat tomorrow." Clearly I need to work on a better explanation.

There is always the big question, "What will we do this Lent to come closer to God?" Perhaps, what do we love so much, but we still love God more and can prove it by giving it up? In Mass this weekend, Father referred to Lent as Spring of the Church, a renewal of faith if you will. Spring? Oh, I can't wait for that in any shape or form. Okay...here is our list starting with the kiddos:

Alivia: Less TV, more reading. Add a morning prayer to our day.
Addison: Add a morning prayer to our day, say good-bye to the Taggie. At over 3 1/2 years of age, Addison needs to find a new coping skill before her dentist tells her it is too late.
Asher: Add a morning prayer to his day. Asher is going to give up his morning snack. I have been trying this for weeks. He will start having a healthy breakfast of pancakes or waffles (since his dry cereal without milk is not cutting it) and hopefully that will do the trick. This morning, he cried for over an hour for ANOTHER snack, after snacking on an additional cup of cereal after going to the grocery store. Let me tell you, that was a long ride home from Walmart in Millard!
Chris: He has not said yet. 
Krista: Make sure to attend all Holy Day Masses/weekend masses, pray with the kids before school, less computer use (just a waste of time) and read more. Reading is relaxing where stuff found on the computer can be far from relaxing. I also want to look into doing a volunteer activity with the kids during Alivia's spring break.

I look forward to kicking off Ash Wednesday with Addison and Asher tomorrow morning. We will miss Alivia coming along with us. I wonder if they will let her out of school to go to Mass (yes, I know - NO WAY!). She will have to go along with Daddy at night.

For now - I best get back to my Fat Tuesday activities as tomorrow only brings one big meal. Let the fasting begin - tomorrow!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: