Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

We have kicked off the Lent Season with Ash Wednesday. When I explained to the kids about Ash Wednesday this morning (after our morning prayers where Alivia and Addison thanked God for school and Asher thanked God for food, go figure), Alivia thought Ash Wednesday was Asher Wednesday! Perhaps it will become clearer after she attends Mass with Chris tonight. Addison, Asher and I attented St. Columbkille's 8:15 Mass. I have decided, after today, that toys, books and snacks are not needed during Mass and just cause conflict. Overall, Addison and Asher did fine. When it came time to receive the ashes, all of us received a cross on our foreheads. Then, Asher started crying (almost immediately), asking for a kleenex to wipe the ashes off of his forehead. Addison was fine with the cross of ashes until a lady in front of us said to a little girl near by after Mass, "Your forehead is all dirty, did you know that?" Dirty? No it's not! It is a cross of ashes, lady! This Mass was a cleansing Mass and her little comment did not help what I was trying to teach Addi and Asher. Anyway, Addison then wanted me to clean her forehead, too. Maybe we will have more success next year.

Anyway, through my confusion of Mass at a new church, I did find the Homily to be an educational one. Father explained that we give up something that we love a lot, perhaps too much, to show that our love for God is stronger than that thing we are giving up. If Jesus died on the cross for us, giving something up during Lent is the least we can do. Father, a spicy food lover, gave up tabasco sauce and how difficult that was for him. So, this year, he joked, he was giving up exercise! :)

Again, this year the items we are giving up are:
Alivia: Morning TV (no TV before school) and she will journal during that time.
Addison: Her Taggie
Asher: Morning snack
Me: Facebook, computer time decreased (Just decrease my time on the computer to nap and evenings where possible). I think this year I may not return to Facebook. I have my own weird opinions on the social networking site. Perhaps someday I will elaborate.
Chris: I think he is giving up his family, although he has not said that specifically. He is going to be putting in more hours at work leading up to if not beyond the Lent Season. Too bad they do not pay him overtime. But, we have to be thankful he has a job, he keeps telling me.

Let Spring in Church begin, and let's hope that seasonal spring is quick to follow (as it was 14 degrees after Mass!).

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: