Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Addison, Asher and I went to 8:15 Mass this morning and sat in the front row so the kids could listen and learn.

Traditionally, the kids are not happy about getting ash on their foreheads in the shape of a cross as as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. This year, Addison was prepared after a lesson in preschool, and I thought I had prepared Asher.

I was wrong.

We were first to get a cross on our foreheads. Asher and Addison accepted, but then Asher leaned on me and wiped his on my black sweater. At least it was a black sweater. He was mad at me for having to get the cross. So, I will have to teach him further.

Normally, during Lent, we give up something. Father jokingly said he would be giving up exercise and he was quite excited about it. I know from previous years, I will not be giving up chocolate or the internet.

This year, I vow to worry less, go to confession, do Lent activities with the kids, and go to Holy hour. I hope to put my computer down more during the day, caring less about emails coming in until the end of the day or during naptime.

So, ready of not, let Lent begin.

No comments: