Thursday, February 12, 2009

Working 6-6

I know, the song goes, "Working 9-5," but Topher has taken it up a notch (or his job has). He leaves our house before 5:30 and arrives home around 6 or later, and that is on a good day. His job has given him a task to complete in 4 months that typically takes 12-14 months to do. He arrives home not surprisingly, crabby, hungry, and tired. At least this time, he is getting paid for his overtime. Not that makes us miss him less.

Meanwhile, I am doing my best to hold down the fort at home. While Daddy typically does preschool pick up for Alivia, I am now rushing home to put Addi and Asher to bed for just over an hour, waking them up, and rushing them to get Alivia. Asher DOES NOT like to be woke up. Our "bad" time of day is between 4-6, when the kiddos are tired, hungry and impatient. I am trying to get dinner ready with usually 1-2 kids crying and hanging on my legs as I do so. After a day of doing all of Addison's laundry from the night before - potty training at night has not bee too successful, (as well as her multiple clothing changes during the day. Yes, Addison now decides 10 minutes into an outfit, that she does not like it and goes upstairs, picks out a new outfit, and gets dressed. Sometimes the outfit is still clean, but she puts it into the hamper with her not so clean clothes anyway. At least she puts them away, I guess), chasing Asher up and down the stairs (yes, he does both now), and helping Alivia decide which hand she is going to write with (she is using both her left and right hands to write, cut, etc, and does equally good writing with both) all the while with a bad back...I am a wreck. Oh, and throw in house cleaning, house hunting and the stress of a possible move, too. By the time Chris gets home, I just want to go in a room, shut the door and have a moment of silence. But, I don't, obviously. Because, as I mentioned, Chris is tired too from a long day of working for us...so I hold out until 8pm to fall into my heap.

Typically, I try and get a good run in every night after the kids go to bed which helps me to clear my head. However, I am struggling with my runs because it hurts my back to sit, move, or anything. I think carrying Asher and Addison around has done a number on it. Or, maybe I am just getting old...

So, I think Mommy should get paid overtime for Daddy's overtime. I am really looking forward to the day I can get out of the house alone, other than at 10pm to go to Walmart to grocery shop or run in the dark where I am so scared to death that I run 5 minute miles (LOL - but really, it is not funny). I do get to get away, weather permitting, to a CEU conference tomorrow for the day while the kiddos stay home with my parents (And of course, it is supposed to snow. So, they may be going with me to my conference). I do have jury duty to look forward to - oh joy. But, if it lasts more than one day...I am bringing the kids with me. The lady said that being a mother does not excuse me from serving as a juror. Fine, how about bringing my kids with me since I have nobody who watch them for who knows how long? We will see what they say...I think, maybe, they will excuse me when they see my monster stroller and Alivia pushing it.

Time to go and fold laundry before the kiddos get up from nap...oh, Mommy's tired...

 

* Maybe I should have titled this "Bad Mood" or "My Little Pity Party." :)


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: