Monday, December 01, 2008

Asher's 1 year Check-up

Asher's 1 year Check-up

Today was Asher's big 1st year appointment with his pediatrician. My Dad said that Asher was probably dreading it. Well, he would if he knew what was to come...the shots, the weaning...oh, getting big is so hard for a baby boy! But, Asher did not and does not know of these things. His appointment went well. Asher stood up in the room, cruised, played with his sisters, banged on the windows and played with his toys like he was showing off for his doctor. He is 28 3/4 inches tall (17%) and 20lb (15%) and his head is 43 cm (1.6 %). To look at him, you would think he was in the 100% - but I think he will even out as he gets taller. I was beginning to question who was bigger, Addison or Asher? She was 2 years old when she finally reached the 20 lb mark! They are close anyway. I constantly get, "Oh my, he is SO BIG" comments from people, mostly strangers (at the mall, at the children's museum, etc). Okay, if he was a small, delicate little boy, I would get comments that he looked like a girl, which I still get when he wears a red pant/shirt ensomble with footballs on it!. Seriously, the kid just can't win. And the head thing is weird. He is progressing fine developmentally, so his Dr is not concerned. The weird thing is, his head looks HUGE. I guess it is just proportionate to his body or something.

Asher did well during the appointment for the most part. He was very curious. The girls had their flu mist first and then came the exam and his shots.Asher does not like the table paper, so he does fine until he hears the paper. He quickly recovers once in Mommy's arms, though. He just laid on my shoulders and nuzzled into my neck.

Now, onto the weaning part. The pediatrician said to continue through this week as he adjusts to milk (I started him today on milk) and then wean next week. That will be hard on both of us.

So, let's knock on wood that we can stay out of the doctor's office until Asher's next flu shot in January (this is his first shot, so he needs 2 doses). No RSV or the Flu from the relatives this year. I realize it is the season for giving, but please, keep that stuff to yourselves.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: