Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trip to the Dentist

This is one day that Chris may have been glad he had to work. My assignment: To take Addison and Alivia to the dentist at 8:30 this morning. Okay, Alivia has been to the dentist several times, crying only once when Addison was maybe a year old and I was pregnant with Asher (& I ended up sitting in the dentist's chair with Addison and Alivia on my lap). This was, however, Addison very first time going to the dentist and having her teeth cleaned, examined, etc. So, I had been talking to her about it to prepare her.

Guess who did well and who did, well, not so well?

The kids go to Dr. Rakes, who we really like. The examination room is one big room with several dental chairs (so everyone can see everything), with nice tvs on the ceiling with cartoons tuned in. Addison went to the first chair closest to the door and Alivia went in a far chair in the back corner. Right away, Alivia would get in the chair. Addison, on the other hand, walked to her assigned chair by herself (because I was occupied with Diva Alivia). Addison climbed up, got her teeth cleaned and waited for the dentist. Meanwhile, I pulled Alivia aside several times trying to get her to get into the chair to get her teeth brushed. She just would not have anything to do with it. I was totally embarrassed as she cried as loud as she could in the room. All the dental assistants were now over in a corner staring and whispering about it. I, as a last resort, called Chris to see if he could talk some sense into her. Of course, Alivia would not even talk to him. The assistant tried to help by taking Asher so I could sit with Alivia, and then Asher started to cry. Okay, for those who think I do nothing all day - try a load of 2 kids crying their hearts out in the dental office!

Addison had an overall clean bill of health for her 1st dental check up. She does have an overbite, that may or may not correct itself. Her teeth were otherwise healthy. She did so good throughout, even waving at us and saying "Hi Alivia" since she knew Alivia was not doing well. I think she was excited to be in the big dental chair! Addison was rewarded with a new toothbrush and her selection of 2 prizes. She picked a big wheeled pick-up and a cell phone (which I thought were interesting choices!).

Alivia, I gave up on. Her next appointment is set for 4pm. Chris will take her.

In the end, Alivia did not like it that Addison was getting attention because it was her first visit to the dentist. So, Alivia acted out. As a punishment for her behavior, she can not watch TV or DVDs until Saturday. I am thinking that she will be  a perfect angel in all future dental appointments, but who knows. Just when you think you can predict something as a parent (like Addison will have a hard time because it was her first time), kids pull a surprise on you.

All CleanTime to Count TeethAddi with her bag of goodies


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: