Sunday, July 05, 2009

Independence Day 2009

Brueggers Red white n Blue Bagels4th of July 2009Scooter AliviaNice Wagon RideTraditional Chalk FlagDaddy and the kiddosOur Chalk FlagPathetic Firework viewing! :)

Happy Belated 4th of July! The day began with red, white n blue bagels followed by a wagon ride/scooter around the neighborhood. It was so nice and cool! Alivia is now able to scoot a mile! We came home to make our traditional chalk flag in the driveway. Topher wanted to make it larger this year. Note for next year: BUY MORE CHALK! It is always fun to make the flag, draw a few fireworks, and explain to the kids what Independence Day is all about (and yes, it is more than fireworks, beer drinking, BBQs and acting crazy!).

I, admittedly, awoke on the wrong side of the bed. Actually, my bed was just in the wrong location, wrong house, etc. We so wanted to be moved by the 4th of July that being at home was rather difficult for many reasons that I will not dwell on. I had to work, so I really wanted to keep the day as low key as possible.

We all took a nice afternoon nap, visited a park, and went out for a quick and easy bite to eat (again, because Mommy was trying to save my energy which I knew I would be needing in the hours to come...and boy did I need it!). Alivia is afraid of the fireworks that just make loud noise and are not pretty. The little kids and I took long wagon rides to watch all the neighbors' money go up in smoke. They really liked them! We came back home to the Macy's fireworks on TV (which were really awesome!).

Once it became dark, we wanted to move outside until I had to leave for work. However, I looked outside and saw the neighbors laying in a pool of fireworks with roman candles in their mouths while they went off and decided, "Um, I think we will just watch from inside this year!"

So, we watched from barstools parked at our big window in our bedroom! It was actually a great spot to see a great show, and it was not as loud as being outside (for Alivia's sensitive little ears). The kids were really excited, jumping up and down when there was a really neat one. It was funny to watch. I put Asher to bed about 10 before leaving to work (and he went right to sleep in spite of the noise), and the girls followed soon after.

Although a quiet day, it was a fun day that we spent just as a family. And, you can't beat days like that, whatever the day or Holiday!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: