Saturday, April 11, 2009

Just a Jog in the Park

This morning, I got up before dawn and decided to do something different. I got into the car and drove to Zorinsky Lake. It was just before dawn when I began my morning run, but it was light enough to be safe. There were a few crazy people out before me, they were groupies (those who are lucky enough to run in a group) and only a couple singles. It was a beautiful morning in God's land to run. This is what I run for. On my first 7.4 mile loop, I ran by 3 different sets of deer, one set right next to me with a baby right on the trail (who did not move when I ran by!), a cardinal, geese, and 2 hot air balloons! I would not have seen any of that running around in circles in our hilly neighborhood or if I had chosen to sleep in! It was amazing, and I was on cloud 9! I also saw many other runners, which is something I do not see at 4:40 AM in our neighborhood. There were also these inspirational chalk writings on the pavement trail. They were not for me, obviously, but they were fun to read the first time around (although many of them were for those running the other direction). They were funny, too. One, for example, said, "Poop stop" with an arrow pointing towards the trees. Another said, "Think Rocky," "Lincoln or Bust" (the home of the Lincoln Marathon perhaps), etc, etc. They were written for a team of runners, but it was fun to read and kept me entertained and motivated.

After finishing the first loop, I stopped for a brief moment to take off my bright yellow hoodie and kept going. It was such an easy run to what I was used to. Our neighborhood is full of hills, and Zorinsky has fewer, quite smaller hills. It was so nice! I was pretty tired by mile 13, and hoped I was about done. Since I had not been to Zorinsky in a long time, I did not know where I was about half the time (which can be good and bad). But, I finished. 14.8 miles in less than 2 hours! I still had energy left to go on a bike ride with the kids and Chris and walk to the park! Now, if I can just run the 1/2 marathon in under 2 hours I will be happy.

3 weeks from tomorrow is when I will run my first 1/2 marathon! And, yes, I AM COUNTING DOWN!

 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

Gina and Derek said...

This is an awesome post! I am definitely going out there now, thanks!