Monday, September 27, 2010

Single Mom for the Weekend

This weekend I experienced what it would be like to be a single mom, or even a mom with a traveling husband. Chris took a cross country flight (much needed to keep up his pilot's license) with  my Dad to Illinois somewhere to an air show to look at airplanes. My Dad is pondering whether or not to buy another airplane.

The boys left Friday morning under clearer skies. They were ready to depart for home Saturday, but did not make it very far. It was stormy, so they landed and spend the night 1 1/2 hours from home. Chris finally returned home last night around 5 pm.

Chris returned, without a new plane (yet) mind you, but with a fun experience. He reports drinking Scotch and water with my Dad (seriously!) and having some real male bonding. I'm glad the boys could do that and not hate each other after the weekend! Maybe the scotch helps...I would not know.

Obviously, I am a stay at home mom so can take care of our kids by myself on most occasions. However, this tripped was not planned too far in advance, so I had to work out some minor issues. Saturday would have been a day that I probably would not have gotten out of bed all day. I was suffering from a cold and had a fever all day. Instead, I pulled it together and took the kids to the pirate festival and mowed the lawn in the afternoon. Sunday I had to call in reinforcements (my Mom of course) to come down for the 4th time in a week (but this was the first trip she made for us only) to watch Asher while I took Addison and Alivia to see Pinkalicious. Asher loved his time with Grandma, but I felt bad. Had I known in advance, I would have been able to get a babysitter. But, at 10am when I realized Chris would not be back in time, I did not want to call a babysitter and have her deal with Asher. Asher probably would not have stayed willingly with a total stranger anyway. Oh Grandma Bet!

I did not mind Chris being away for the weekend, but we did miss him. I did get annoyed with the kids asking every 5 minutes when he was coming home, especially since I had no clue. We pulled through and made things work. I do not know how divorced or single parents do it though. It is a lot of work to be a 2 parent party by yourself.

The next thing is...when do Grandma and I get to go away for the weekend and leave the kids with the boys?

No comments: