Saturday, September 04, 2010

Friends As I get older, and old I am, I am finding making and keeping friends more difficult. Maybe it is because I am a busy mom to 3 and have an amazing husband that I like to keep happy. Or, maybe it is just because I tend to only like nice people who say nice things and leave the crap at the door. Or, maybe it is both. I don't know. As mom, we kind of get thrown into being friends with more people as we are exposed to the parents of our kids' friends. I have met a lot of people this way, the good, the bad and the ugly. Seriously. Since moving, I have had to tolerate more than I am used to tolerating. As I stand outside the elementary school doors waiting for Alivia, I see moms, but I also see a bunch of woman acting like they are in junior high. I see cliches. I see Moms wearing stiletto heels with shorts to pick up their kids from school. Seriously, I don't care what I wear for the most part. I, of course, put on clothes. But, Alivia is just excited to see me and that is all that matters. If I look nice, it is because I had time during naptime to clean up for CHRIS not for the mommy show being put on outside of elementary school. And the comments. Seriously, I feel like I am stuck in a flashback to junior high or high school. Let's face it, woman (and girls) say mean things to each other. I really don't think it is our nature, because I have to try to do it if I am mean. Generally, if I am mean, it is to try to point out that I will not tolerate someones crap and to leave me alone. I guess maybe I should just say that. "I'm sorry, I am not in junior high. I am in my mid 30's and am the mommy to 3. If you want to throw mean comments like a 10 year old, go try them on someone else." I wonder how that would fly? For example, I am trying really hard to get Alivia to tone down a bit. If she is going to stay at her grandparents in Iowa, for example, she will say it really loud to whoever is around, even in Target. "I AM GOING TO MY GRANDPARENTS TO STAY FOR 2 NIGHTS!" I know she is just excited, but I find bragging, or any form of it, really unflattering and quite annoying. I avoid braggers at all costs or simply stop talking to them (This eliminates a lot of people as friends). The MY KIDS ARE AMAZING parents to the MY HOUSE IS BIGGER AND BETTER people to the MY LOOKS ARE FABULOUS! Okay, who really cares about those things...how is your (or your kid's) heart? Are you loving, giving, generous and kind? If not...I don't really care how smart your kid is, how big your pad is or how green your grass is. If you are not kind...does any of that matter? Um, no. It is difficult to teach Alivia that when she is exposed to it on the adult level. I have, however, been trying to be more outgoing. No, I will not join the PTO. I find it too full of drama. And, who would watch the kids so I could go? I would prefer to just stay home with them. But, Alivia has met some friends who have nice mommies. What a perk for me! And, Alivia has a new friend who has a sister Addison's age! Yeah! Finally a little friend for Addison! And, to top it off, Chris thought this girl's Mommy was one of the nicest Moms he has met. I will keep working on making friends, scheduling playdates, and going to Junior High, aka the elementary school waiting area to pick up Alivia. I guess I can add that to my list of things to do..."Tolerate the Mommy Drama...quietly." Wish me luck with the quiet part.

No comments: