Thursday, August 06, 2009

Giving it Up

For me, it is really difficult to give up the adorable little clothes that our kids once wore. Seriously, I still have most of Asher's baby clothes because I can not bear to part with them yet. For me, the opposite of a pack rat, this is hard for me to do. I have put away his clothes in places where I can not see them so it does not bother me that I am keeping them, for now.

With that said, I have given up a lot of the girls' clothes and continue to do so. Many of the clothes have been worn by 2 kids, so it is easier for me to part with them. With that said, as I put them all in a basket to see, tears welled up in my eyes. Our babies are getting so big! I know this is a good thing...but it really is so sad how quickly time passes. If you really do stop and slow down, they are grown up! Chris even thought it was sad as he looked at all the clothes that Addison wore last winter and a few of her summer 24 month things. Many of these items were bought exclusively for Addison, too, so were in like new condition. I was just trying to clear our some of the items that were too small to make room for the 2Ts that still fit and move in some smaller size 3 items for the fall.

So, I loaded up the kiddos to take the items to Once upon a child. In this basket were maybe 12 sweatshirt/pant outfits from the Gap, Gymboree, old navy and a couple from Dillards that were quite cute, a few pant/top outfits from Childrens place, 10 capri pants/tops from Gymboree, Macys, Gap, 10 pairs of PJs from the Gap, 5 skorts from the different places that I can't recall now but they were all super cute and in mint condition. I had a few sweatershirts/sweaters from Gap and Old Navy. There were maybe 2 items that were not name brand (Dora shirt and just a white shirt that I kept in the diaper bag). This was quite nice stuff. I had listed the items on Craigslist for $65, but thought perhaps I was giving it away because it was a lot of stuff! What do you think Once upon a Child would give me? Well, I looked around the store on the first trip to see what things were marked: Pants $10, YUCKY pjs $4.50 (May as well buy new! These were awful looking!). The items were not cheap is all I am saying.  The amount for my motherload?: $16 and some odd cents!!! I smiled, pointed out my basketful of clothes, and politely asked the woman to give me all my items back. I did not give her any comments and walked out.

Today, a woman from Craigslist and her cute daughter picked up the motherload of clothes and gave me $65.

I am still upset to see it go. But, it makes me feel better that a nice person and her little girl got the value of clothes that did us a lot of good and helped keep out little girls adorable as they should be. I'm glad I take a lot of pictures so I have pictures of them wearing all these beautiful things!

As for Once Upon A Child? I will never, never return to that store. WHAT A JOKE! They are robbing mommy's to pay themselves. Enough said!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: