Friday, August 07, 2009

Buying Something Fun?

As mentioned, the van had a flat tire at the zoo. There were hundreds of people that walked past us as we attempted to change the tire. The problem, the car was on a slope and the van kept slipping off the jack! We had the emergency brake on, too. After getting the tire all ready to come off, it seemed really stuck on there. All of a sudden, the car moved, dropping unto the tire getting it unstuck! However, we were scared to put up the car again on the jack because it kept slipping. Then, low and behold, a young man from Council Bluffs stopped with another jack to help! Wow! Nice people do exist! With 2 jacks, the boys were able to get the job done and the kids could stop playing in the dirt.

Chris and I knew that the van was due for new tires. I was actually planning on making the calls on Thursday. I was, however, dragging my feet because I knew it would cost nearly $600 in addition to the nearly $500 we had to pay for license plates yet this month. It we are going to spend $1100, I was hoping it would be for something cool - not plates and rubber! But, you have to do what you have to do.

I made a few phone calls on Thursday morning between potty training and selling little girl clothes. I made sure to ask, "Now, this includes EVERYTHING, right?" with each place I called. We checked with consumer reports, so were comparing the same tire with every store.

In the end, we took the van to Jensen Tire with the dummy tire now nearly flat, and the kids and I walked home. Gotta love living so close to a Jensen Tire! Additionally, they did not include everything, of course, calling and asking for $70 more for alignment! At least I know where I will NOT be taking the Camry for tires when they are due for tires.

At least we can mark "Buying Tires" off the list. "Buying something fun" will just have to wait.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: