Friday, August 21, 2009

Alivia's 1st Week of Kindergarten

I have decided to do a Kindergarten Journal for Alivia. For the first week, I wrote something down daily. I will write less often as time passes.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 1: The first day went well. We walked to school with Daddy. We went inside early, dropping off Alivia’s napmat, extra clothes and PE shoes into her locker. Then we waited in line outside. We all walked her into her class. It was crazy with everyone’s parents there! Alivia’s face got all red, but she never cried! I can’t say that about Mommy and Daddy, though. What a big girl. Daddy ate lunch at school reporting that she was doing well, but did have problems opening things. So tomorrow, I will have to pack things easier to eat/drink. Alivia actually said she did not want a juice box and wanted a thermos because then she could do it alone. We all went to school to pick her up.  Alivia was quite chatty about the day, saying how she loved school. She was quite excited through the night, having problems calming to fall to sleep. She talked nonstop, 100 miles an hour!

Miss Moran’s Email update today:

“Hi. I noticed that you mentioned that Alivia was very shy and did not come out of her shell easily. I just wanted to put your mind at east that, although she is very quiet, she has told me she need to use the restroom and she also told me all about her bike riding this summer.

It was great to see you at lunch. I hope you are having a good day. I know we are having a busy (and rule filled) day!!!

Molly Moran”


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 2: The kids and Mommy walked Alivia to school. Today is the first day of PE, so we made sure to dress her in shorts.  Again, Alivia got all red and quiet as we left school, but I never saw any tears. Mommy was still sad to leave her. Once on the way home, Addison started crying saying, “I miss Alivia!” Mommy started crying. UGH! We finished  our walk on the side of the street without having to cross the streets so many time (Alivia likes to cross the street and walk so she can practice crossing the street). We miss her more!  How can something so good for her be so hard and sad?

We all walked up to pick Alivia up again. Addison ran to Alivia and gave her a hug when she came out of the door on the black top! It was so cute! Once at home, Alivia was quite chatty! She was doing multiple cartwheels and appeared to have endless energy. Addison and Alivia played in their rooms until I got back from my run at 9, then she went right to sleep.

Wednesday, Day 3Wednesdays walk to schoolWednesday in ClassWednesday Addi & Asher playTime to go home!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 3: It was raining when we woke up, but it stopped just long enough for us to walk to school. We arrived after the bell, then I helped Alivia and Sophia put their backpacks in their lockers and get into class. We arrived later today, so there were not many parents there. Alivia had not given back the card to the teacher to report that her parents were picking her up (now we know to do that!), so I stopped and talked to Miss Moran for a minute. Alivia went on to play with Play-Doh oblivious that I was still in the hall snapping pictures.  Addison, Asher and I walked home, getting home just before the rain showers picked up again. Whew, that was close!

At pick-up Alivia broke down into tears when she realized I did not bring a snack with me to school. This was her first sign of being tired.


Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 4: It was a nice, but cool morning this morning. Highs in the upper 70s today. Alivia was harder to get out of bed today, but did get up, dressed and was cooperative. We walked to school too early and had to wait outside. That annoys me a bit. Alivia gets clingy the longer we have to wait. She asked me to walk her to her locker and classroom where Miss Moran was waiting outside of the classroom. Alivia slipped into class and made it look easy for her. It is still difficult for us to say good-bye in the morning. I am waiting for the day that I do not get choked up. We miss her so much all day long! I treated Addison and Asher by going to the neighborhood park after dropping off Alivia. I think Addison misses her a lot. Pick up was uneventful and I made sure to bring a drink and little snack she could eat on our walk home. She rode on Daddy’s shoulders today. Once at home, Addison and Asher are tired. They, Asher especially, are trying to get used to the new nap schedule and being awakened a few minutes early so we can pick up Alivia (I put them down for naptime at 12:30, so I can hardly move up naptime!). Alivia reported the she cried in PE. :(


We got  an email from Miss Molly Moran today. Here is what she said:


I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you about Alivia.  Our class is working very hard on getting routines and poor Alivia already has them down!  She is always doing what she is supposed do and she has to listen to me get after the other kids.  I am hoping that at the end of this week I will be able to get past routine and move on to the fun of learning new things!!  I have been trying to reward Alivia and the handful of others by giving them "positive paws" and prize box.  I am sure she is getting tired of hearing my voice!  


Basically, I just wanted to tell you what a great kid you have!  I hope you are having a great day.  Alivia was the "star cub" yesterday.  I enjoyed hearing about Piper the cat and the rest of the family. :)




Friday, Day 5Friday's walk to school

Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 5:

After going to bed at 7:30 instead of 8, Alivia did wake up easier. She dressed in Capri pants, short sleeved shirt and a sweater for our walk to school. It was windy and chilly, probably in the 60’s. We arrived to school just as the bell rang! Love that! I walked Alivia in, having her take out her lunch box, finding her locker and putting her backpack inside. She gave me a quick hug before walking into room #6 with Miss Moran. As she walked off, Addison said, “I miss Alivia.” I do too, sweetie! Addison, Asher and I went home to go to the grocery store together.

We picked up Alivia at 3:45. Love the hugs we get from her at the end of her school day. She rode home on Daddy’s shoulders. Alivia, once again, said she cried today because the kids were screaming too loud. :( 

All in all, we made it through a successful week 1 of Kindergarten!

Hug time!Alivia's normal ride home :)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: