Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dog Sitting

For nearly 11 days, we have been dog sitting for Kota, my parents Labrador Retriever. She is 2 1/2 years old and full of energy. Originally, the plan was to have her stay mostly in the laundry room. That lasted until Grandma and Grandpa left, then she was out and running.
 
We were lucky that the weather was fabulous during most of her stay. We walked together, we ran together, she loved playing fetch in the backyard, and she even liked going to the playground with us once last week. She mostly slept on her bed in the laundry room, but Chris had her stay in our room one night and then we just left her out to sleep wherever after that. She was great around the kids, and they loved playing "vet" with her, giving Kota pretend shots.

Now, around other dogs, Kota is not so good. Think about it, Kota lives on my parents' acreage and never sees another dog! So, really, she did quite well considering. On day one, she ran over a snowdrift quicker than I could keep up with. When we jumped over, I fell right on my tushy! So, I continue to try and heal my broken butt. On the first day I ran around the lake with her, the neighbors let their 3 golden retrievers out in the yard behind their pathetic wrought iron fence right as we got to their yard. I was running on the trail (that their home backed to) on a sheet of ice. So, when Kota when chasing after these dogs, I slid, fell, and then was dragged to "greet" these dogs. The owner stood near by, scooping poop in his yard, laughing out loud. I, personally, found no humor in my bloody hands. I stood up, pulled Kota back to the trail, and ran the short distance back home.

I found there are either really friendly dog owners and really mean ones. Walking at Walnut Creek, I had a man stop and talk to us and was really nice. I also found more unfriendly dog owners. I had a doggy owner tell me at Walnut Creek that perhaps I should get a dog my own size like she did. I quickly snapped at her, "I am doggy sitting and adjusting," you snot. I also had many dog owners while running around the lake that had their dogs not on a leash running with them or they would let their little dogs (snacks for Kota) out to go potty without a leash in the front yard. Seriously, come on!

All in all, we loved watching Kota. But, we will not be getting a dog any time soon if ever. It is a lot of work. Kota was like having a 4th kiddo (which would not be so bad actually! :)). I mean I had to bathe her, feed her, pick up her poop, play with her, make her bed...how is she any different? Okay, she has a bit more hair.

When my parents arrived today to pick her up, Kota was so excited. She ran all over the yard and then ran to the pick up door and wanted in. Funny, I thought she liked it here, so much she would want to stay! I guess there is no place like home.

Kota is welcome to visit or stay with us anytime. We will miss her. Maybe we will go and visit her soon.

Click HERE to see all the pictures from Kota's visit.

Running with Kota

Kota, ready to go home. I think she wanted to drive.






Lap Dog?

Kota jumped right in the truck and was ready to go home!

No comments: