Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Home Sick

Many days as we get settled in our new home, we feel a bit home sick. Chris and I have said many times, we feel like we are on a vacation of sorts, staying at someone elses home, but just want to go back HOME. I miss the comforts of our old home. We fixed it up to meet most of our needs. That was so nice. Yes, it needed updating. But, we are having to fix up this house to meet our needs, too. Additionally, I many times drive by our old home as I go from dropping Alivia off at the school up the street from our old home to taking Addison to preschool. I find myself going the wrong way to avoid driving by our old house. Asher has even cried when we have driven by, "Go home!" Oh honey, I so wish I could. I only have a few more days of taking Alivia to Standing Bear as she will be transferring to Papillion schools after the New Year.

And then it comes time to pick up Alivia in the afternoons (or even sometimes at drop off) and I see our old neighbors. Then it all comes rushing back to me...why we really moved. Oh, I will take the discomforts of not being at our home I think over all of that unnecessary immaturity living next door anyday.

In our new home, we currently have few neighbors around. Actually, there is nobody living right by us. Neighbors are those we can see a street or 2 away from us. Looking our Asher's window at night, I can see the old owner of this home's Christmas tree (yes, he lives that close). Chris and I do not have any window treatments yet. I am working on estimates for our beloved shutters. I just can not find it to spend our hard earned money on them just yet. I don't know what the rush is right now anyway. Afterall, who is looking in here? And, do I care? Nope.

Chris and I also miss St Vincent de Paul Catholic Church. We have tried going to the Parish near our home, but it is not home. It is so much different. Mass had not even started and Chris asked me if we could leave and go to SVDP. So, we are going to start going to our old Parish again, Saturday nights when I work, Sunday mornings when I don't. We are dealing with a lot of change right now. And, Chris and I just do not feel the need to change our Parish family right now.

So, for anyone thinking of moving...think long and hard before doing so, and then think some more. Reasons for moving can outweigh the cons, obviously. But, the grass is not always greener in another lawn. Actually, our grass looked nearly dead when we moved in here. :) A home is just a roof over your head. A family makes a home. I have to thank my amazing Mom for giving me that perspective.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

O'Toole said...

Oh, I am glad you are going to come to SVDP!!! Just Sunday I thought, "who are those people sitting in the Austin's pew" and I remembered that you were at some far away church and I missed you!

Austin Family said...

Ahhh...that is so sweet! Losted your Christmas card, too! Your boys are so handsome!