Thursday, November 19, 2009

Picky Eaters

Even when I have pots and pans to cook with, I am challenged to find something the entire family will eat without complaining. The 2 things the kids will eat now without complaining are McDonalds and Mamas Pizza. I would like to find something I can make!

I have been trying to find new things to eat with the coupons I cut. If I match sales with the coupons, sometimes we can try things for a little bit of nothing. So, there is little risk involved. I typically try out things with Addison and Asher first. If they like it, I move to Alivia (who is the most picky eater of the 3, even more so than Chris!). In our house, we make one meal and you eat it or go hungry. The only exception is that we do make Alivia something else when we have pasta because she does not like it. I can not possibly prepare something for each person or I would never leave the kitchen. Besides, I was brought up on meat, corn and mashed potatoes and gravy and I lived. I may not eat any of those things now, but I lived. :)

Keep in mind, right now we are limited to a pasta pan, sauce pan and a pizza pan. So, we have limited preparation options. The latest things that get the Addison and Asher seal of approval are: Ham and cheese lean pockets (they eat 1/2 each), strawberry applesauce (no sugar added and it is quite good), chocolate mini muffins that comes with the muffin pan (really good but only makes 12 really tiny muffins. Again, I only bought these because we do not have a pan), whole grain rotini shells n cheese, banana yogurt, yogurt tubes (very messy though), and the saucy steamed vegetables. I have a stash of other new things to try with them this week and then I will begin the process of trying these things with Alivia. Now, keep in mind, Chris will eat none of these items and I will not eat meat. So, we are not finding anything yet that we all will eat.

So, what's for dinner? Please do share?

Tonight: Deli night: Deli turkey/cheese sandwiches, baked chips, mandarin oranges, Addison requested steamed broccoli while Alivia will have carrots and dip.

Friday: Friday is pizza night. Yeah! I don't have to think. However, everyone only likes Mamas. We do try to get other pizzas, but it is rare that everyone eats it. We all like cheese, but we find the girls liking beef at Grandma and Granpas' houses.

Saturday: New food - Popcorn shrimp

Sunday: Chicken nuggets, steamed veges, grapes w/ yogurt (the kids use the yogurt as dip).

Monday: Monday is Pasta night, garlic bread, salad.

Well, we will end there since next week is a Holiday and may be our moving week. If we are moving on Wednesday...we will probably eat out on Tuesday night. We are trying to introduce the kids to new places to eat out at, too. Before we just never ventured out. Now, we have been forced to from lack of resouces at home. Any suggestions of kid friendly places?

I am waiting to hear what everyone feeds their family. Perhaps when we get into a house with all of our stuff we can try some more new things!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

3 comments:

Final Score said...

Our youngest, the fourth child is super pickey. This was new to us as our three other children are all very adventerous in eating.
He perfers breads, chicken nuggets and any kind of dessert.
Recently I have managed to introduce him to a few things he LOVES!
Macarroni and Cornbread cassarole.
Sloppy Joes.
Chicken and dumplings.

Final Score said...

Our youngest of 4 is a super pickey eater. He prefers bread, chicken nuggets and any dessert.
Recently, I managed to find 3 meals that he LOVES! (so now we have them alot)
Sloppy Joes
Chicken and dumplings
Macarroni and cornbread cassarole

O'Toole said...

We go to China Buffet a lot. I know, sounds gross, but there are tons of choices. There is a salad bar with fruit and salad stuff. There is also rice and chicken strips and ice cream (that is not that great). For adults they have a mongolian grill where you can load up on a bowl of veggies and they stir fry it for you. This is the place where we have actually had success getting Riley to eat things he never would try and it is nice becuase it is a buffet, so who cares if he doesn't eat it, there is ALWAYS something he will eat there!