Friday, November 07, 2008

Kindergarten Dilemma

Chris and I were really struggling with where to send Alivia to school next year. There is the whole possibility of moving thrown in there, too. If we stay in our home, our options were the school up the street versus St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School, where we attend church. I had, in my own mind, decided to send her to St. Vincents. Yes, we have 3 kids and it is expensive. But, this is important. We would just make it work. If we moved, however, the decision may change. I am not sure Alivia could get into the school in the Papillion, La Vista area because we would be new to the Parish. We would just have to figure that out if, and when we move.

So, I threw out the question to Alivia's preschool teacher this week at conferences. She is, by the way, Catholic as well. Her answer, "I do not believe Alivia would do well in the Catholic School environment because of the class sizes." This issue has been brought up to me before from a friend of mine who once worked as a teacher (but now is a SAHM). She did not know how they did it with 30 kids in a class, with help or not. Alivia's preschool teacher says that Alivia is so shy that if she is missed in class (like she forgets to give her the eyes for the witch in art) that Alivia will just look down and not say anything until the teacher asks her what is wrong. In a class of 30, the teacher worries, Alivia would be forgotten because she is so shy.

Wooooh! That was not what I was expecting.

For now, we are not doing anything. We just received the enrollment papers for Catholic Education. I am going to call and see if the deposit is refundable (if we move, I sure would not want to lose the money because it is more than a standard deposit in my opinion). I really do not think we will be living in the area for our church to be an option, and we have no information, as of now, about the Catholic School in the Papillion, La Vista area.

You would think Alivia was going to college or something! I'll keep you posted, perhaps she will.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: