Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How are 3?

We have a lot of people asking how now adays...how is it having 3 kiddos? Well, it really depends on the age of the kids I think. But, for us, there are a few things different. Going from 1 to 2 kids was a difficult transition for us. Going from 2 to 3 has been less of a transition in some ways and more difficult in others.

1. Time: We have little to none (Chris has little and I have none :) ). Chris typically gets his time after Alivia and Addison are in bed at 8. I have some time to clean up when Asher goes down for the night, but that can be between 8:30-9:30 or later. It all depends on Asher. Some nights, by the time I make dinner, give 3 kids a bath, put 2 kids down to bed (Chris gets Alivia down to sleep) I am ready for bed. So, the mess that Addison makes at dinner is quickly cleaned up. But, the dishes and toys stay out until morning. If I do not go to bed when Asher does, sometimes I get little sleep. 

2. Sleep: Huh? I don't know what you are talking about. I know this will change. Sleep is something few parents of a newborn do regardless of how many children they have. However, Asher and Alivia both wake up at night. I have learned to check on Alivia when I am up with Asher. That typically elliminates her calling me to tuck her in at 3 am right after I get back to sleep.

3. Shopping: I will now do less of this (and save a lot of money I think!). I go to the grocery store at 10-11 pm at night. Oh, and you would be surprised how many people grocery shop at 10pm (and with their small kids!!).I tried to go to Von Maur and Gymboree last week to get a baby gift and a few things for Asher with my Gymbucks with all the kids before Chris got home from work. I ended up ordering the baby gift and using my gymbucks online. Addison is not at a good shopping age, and I will leave it at that. It is just a lot of work to get all three kids bundled up in this cold and go anywhere. That is a huge difference over 2, I think. At least Alivia can get in the car and buckle herself up now. That makes it easier for Chris and I. If I do go to the store, it is during those couple hours when Alivia is in preschool when I am back to 2 kids. 

4. Cleanliness: My definition of clean has to change. It seriously drives me crazy how I can get nothing done. I was trying to have everything picked up before I went to bed at night. By lunchtime the next day, you could not tell that I did anything. So, if it is between sleeping an extra hour and cleaning up, I go to sleep. The mess will still be there bugging me anyway. If someone stops by and judges me, I challenge them to breastfeed ever few hours, play with your kids, cook, bake, do laundry and keep it any cleaner. But yes, I do see that it is dirty and I am doing the best as I can as I was when we just had 2 kids. The cleaning part just keeps getting more and more challenging.

5. Laundry: There is a lot of it. Period.

6. Busier: One of the kids always has something going on...preschool, Drs appointments, colds, something. Chris and I have our own stuff, too, so there are few dull moments. Now, I have been called to be on Jury Duty the 3rd week of Feb. Okay, let's see, how am I to do that with 3 kids and nursing one of them? I do not think they care, but I put in to get out of it. So, we'll see.

All in all though, I would not change any of these things. I love being the Mommy of 3. So, with all of the challenges, I would take them every day to be with my kids. Time? I can have more to myself later and wish for more time with my kids (when they are out with their friends and in school). Sleep? I will soon miss getting up at night I think. Shopping? I think I will save a lot of money by just not going shopping or doing the little I need to do online. Cleanliness? I do not think my kids will remember when they are older how dirty or clean our home was if I just do the best I can. Although I know my house growing up must have been really clean because my Mom actually likes to clean, I can not remember one way or the other. Laundry? It sure makes me feel less guilty about buying that high efficiency washer/dryer a few years ago.

So, let me get back to enjoying my quiet time (they are all asleep!) and maybe go clean.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: