Friday, November 05, 2010

Having a Son

When I was pregnant for the first time, my dad told me that we would have a girl. Afterall, he could not see me being a mommy to a little boy.

Alivia was born. Loved having a girl. Dressed her in pink all the time, and pink is still her favorite color.

Then Addison was born. She likes purple. Dress her in purple much of the time.  Yes, this means buying an entirely new wardrobe to make our little girl happy.

Low and behold, I became pregnant again when Addison was maybe 8 months old.

And to our surprise, Asher was born!

Having a boy in the house is so much different than the girls. Girls are great, don't get me wrong. But, boys are so different.

Asher is so sweet, loving and caring. He likes to fall asleep while holding my hand. He loves to cuddle and snuggle. He gives his sisters and friends hugs when they are upset and/or crying. Seriously, if I pretend to cry because he will not do something, he runs to do it so I won't be sad anymore! :) Yes, I know, that is a bad thing to do to such a sweet little boy.

Asher does his share of girly things like his sister. He is only 2 and does not know the difference yet. He has dressed up as a princess, worn pink hats, rides in the dolly stroller, and plays babies with the girls. But, if he is alone at play, he likes to play with puzzles, his trains, his cars and spider man. He likes to organize his cars by lining them up. He LOVES his mommy time when the girls are in school.

Like the girls, Asher does whine. But, he is learning to be tougher. As a mommy, I have to teach that (who knew?!). He is clumsy, falling and getting major wounds almost weekly. He is a daredevil showing little fear, so a few wounds are to be expected. I have caught him jumping off of the playhouse into the bouncer, scooting down the driveway on his plasma car going crazy speeds, and flipping forward rolls over the couch narrowly missing falling to the floor in a heap. He is a having fun...so I can not stop fun, to a point anyway.

I did not know that I wanted a son...but I am so glad I got to experience having a son. I'm sure not all little boys are like Asher, but I am glad he is turning out to be just like his Daddy...gentle and kind!




No comments: