Friday, January 09, 2009

Mommy Can't...

Today, I loaded up the kids for an adventure. Oh, not an adventure to a new park, the museum, or even the zoo, this was a trip to the doctor. Seriously, have you ever taken 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 1 to the doctor with you. Believe me, it is an adventure. One that I was dreading for sure.

Anyone who knows me knows I either have to be really sick and/or pregnant to go to the doctor. Let me report, it is NOT the latter! So, I loaded up the crew to go to the doctor.

We arrived on time. I filled out some paperwork since it had been since 2005 that I had been to my family physician (having spent so much time in my OB's office, I guess I have not felt like going to my family doctor for a check-up. After today, I will not be going again, either). We waited and waiting, the waiting room cleared, then filled up again, and we waited and waited some more. This process was repeated 3 more times until the receptionist decided to go and check on what was going on. I, at this moment, wished I was a drug rep again as 3-4 drug reps had come in, got their signatures and left while I was still sitting there trying to entertain the kids.

Finally the nurse called us back. I got into the nice attire as Addison and Alivia stared at me, asking numerous questions. The PA (No, not the Dr as she was just too busy. Seriously, I could have been a drug rep because that was the same line they gave me then!) came into the room right away and looked a little concerned about the kids being in the room. "Do you want them to leave?" she asked. Um, and go where? It is me and only me. Want me to put them in the hallway?

Anyway, as she started the exam, Asher, who was on the floor with his books and the cell phone to entertain him, seriously lost it. He was crying at the top of his lungs so that anyone in the building could have heard him. Meanwhile, my helper girl, Alivia, was sitting behind him plugging her ears and Addison was sitting in a chair with her taggie sucking her thumb. The PA called in the nurse and Asher held up his hands to her. Great, he is going to let her hold him. Um, no such luck. He cried harder with big tears rolling down his face. The nurse finally handed Asher to me as the PA finished her exam and questioning. Asher was quiet almost immediately (all he wanted was me!).

I left completed embarrassed for a few reasons that I will not get into. I decided yesterday that Mommy can't get sick (I had a bad case of the stomach flu!) , and today I learned that Mommy can't go to the doctor. And, I am sure my doctors will be relieved to hear that. My visit today probably caused the office to take an early lunch and tell a few more drug reps, "Sorry, today just is not a good day."

Send to a friend

No comments: