Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crazy Runner

One of my goals for 2009 is to run my first 1/2 marathon. I began "training" right after the first of the year. Mind you, I run all the time anyway. This just give me something to run towards and gives me a little extra motivation. Winter weather is not fun. I run outside 90% of the time during the winter. The long runs I try to do on "nicer" days whenever possible (I am up to 10 1/2 miles now). On the way home from our outing today, I asked Chris how cold it was. It was a whole 12 degrees. Oh great, I should run on the treadmill (I can only run 5 miles on the treadmill before I seriously lose it with boredom). Chris, being the concerned husband that he is, said that it was such a nice and sunny day and I should run outside (not mentioning that it was freezing!). So, I put on my cuddleduds, t-shirt, hoodie, ear wrap, stocking cap, lined running pants, gloves, Chris' thick socks, etc, and I was off. I was cold for about a mile or two. Then, I got feeling back in my hands and they actually got hot. My face never warmed up. However, I only went 4.3 miles, according to my Garmin's previous recording - it is currently not working and not my friend. (having ran the long run on a nicer day earlier in the week). I call myself a crazy runner, but at least my kids were at home napping all snug in their beds (I saw a lady in our neighborhood speed walking with her 2 kids in the stroller during a day when the van said it was 20 degrees and the wind gusts were 35 miles/hr...THAT IS CRAZY!). Now, if I can just get all these Nebraskans to shovel and de-ice their sidewalks, I would be in great shape!

* Oh, & by the way, Chris went for a run after I did, & outside!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: