Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm Melting...

For those that don't know me very well, I love to run. There are a few reasons:
1. Exercise makes me feel better
2. I am Chris' wife first, so I need to stay in shape for him (but not too in shape, as he puts it, because that would be bad :) ).
3. I run outside so I get out of the house. I tried running inside on the treadmill and did this for a while. However, I would see toys laying around, and stop to pick up. Or I would think of all the things I had to do and quit and go and do them. Running is a break for me and gives me much needed QUIET time.
So, last night I put the kids to bed and got ready for my evening jog. But, when I looked outside, it was seriously pouring rain. Okay, I have ran in just about everything since I started consistently running outside at night after the kids are asleep. I have run in rain, snow, sleet, blizzard conditions, thunderstorms, etc. Some nights I kept hoping somebody I knew would drive by so I could RIDE home, but that never happened. Anyway, I went to the basement to tell Chris, who was doing his weight training, that I would not be running outside because it was raining. He joked to me, "What are you going to melt." in the rain that is? Ugh! I will show him! I will go anyway!
Okay, anyone who knows me knows that if you say it can't be done, I will prove you wrong. Like, "You can not stay home, just get that out of your head." I proved HER wrong. "You will never get cash to buy a car." Um, that is what you think!
So, I went out to prove Chris wrong. I have to say, it was a downpour like a block into it. The streets were flooded with water up to my ankles. Rain was landing in my  eyes and messing with my contacts. I had decided to wear long sleeves before seeing the rain, and I was beginning to carry more from the water weight in my clothes. I laughed to myself thinking that either 1. Chris would not go out in this weather or 2. It would stop raining when I get home and he would go for his jog with just wet sidewalks to contend with. All the while, I WAS melting!!
I got home, totally soaked. Chris, laughed (and is probably still laughing). The rain, had stopped of course. And Chris went out for his jog. Oh, and when he got back, he actually complained that he had to contend with some worms!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: