Saturday, September 13, 2008

First camping experience

 

 

Asher playing peek-a-boo!Tent TimeMmmm, smoresMmm, Alivia w/ her smoresDVD time?

The idea came from a Curious George episode to go camping. Then, Chris suggested we try camping in our backyard first. He made this suggestion in May. Tonight, they are outside sleeping under the stars as I type inside and Asher sleeps upstairs.

We went on a little shopping trip and Alivia picked out sleeping bags. Meanwhile, Chris was at home setting up the tent. We grilled hotdogs as we would if we were actually camping someplace (I only know this through TV as I have never camped. Growing up, my Dad, after having to live in a tent in Vietnam, refused to go camping in a tent. Now he will go camping in a tent under his airplane wing, though). The girls were so excited. After dinner, we took our baths inside before the treats came out...smores! Alivia had had smore before (They have smores in a Barney video, so I had made them before for a snack), but I am unsure if Addison has had them before. Then, they went into the tent and really roughed it by watching a movie on their dvd player! A few stories by a flashlight and prayers, then they went to sleep with Daddy. I am guessing it took Alivia a while to fall to sleep, but Daddy and Addison were asleep before I zipped them in. At last check, they were all still quiet. I sure miss them inside!

This is the girls' first official night under the starlit sky. Maybe next year Asher and I will join them!

So, how did their night go? Well, short. They slept until the front came through bringing the wind gusts. Addison woke up first asking Daddy, "What's that?" to every noise. After bringing Addi inside, the tent inself started blowing more in the wind preventing Daddy from going back to sleep. So, he and Alivia came inside. Good thing they were in the backyard!

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

O'Toole said...

What a cute idea!!! I might have to steal this one from you!
The butterfly habitat is from Learning Express. It was a very fun thing (but the caterpillars and thier weird food or maybe it was thier waste material, kind of grossed me out).