Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lenten Season

Today, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of the Lenten Season. So, the kids and I went to the 8:15 Mass this morning (yes, I went to Mass ALONE with the kids!). Although I was in fear of how the kids would behave, they all were very good and received compliments following Mass. I got lucky as Asher slept. Now, Chris can go to Mass alone and relax.

This Mass is the one the school kids attended, so I got a lot out of it. :) Father talked about 3 things we should do during Lent.

1. Dedicate ourselves in Prayer (obviously)

2. Fast, abstain & sacrifice. Since I am nursing, I do not have to fast, but I will abstain from eating meat (although I rarely eat meat anyway). On this first day of Lent, I have to decide what I am going to sacrifice. In the past I have given up chocolate, and I have vowed to not do that again. Besides, I do not think that sacrifice necesarily brought me closer to God (but maybe closer to crazy). If Jesus died on the cross for me, the least I can do is sacrifice something during Lent.

3. Do something special for someone through Lent, someone who you may not feel deserves special treatment necessarily. I thought of 1 person right away and Chris reminded me of another. So, I have 2 Lenten people. But, I can not tell who they are. So, if you start getting special things from me, you can only guess you are my special Lenten person.

Last night I tried to explain the Lenten Season to Alivia and talked about how we give something up during this time. After what I thought to be an explanation at a 3 year old level, Alivia responed with a, "Mommy, can I have dessert now?" Okay, I guess she is just too young. And today, Alivia cried when I explained why Father was putting the sign of the cross in ash on everyone's forehead. So, she hid behind me so he would not "get" her. When we were seated again, Alivia asked me all worried, "Will I still get candy on Easter?" Okay, definitely too young to understand what is this Season is all about.

This Lent, let us all come closer to God in some way.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments: