Monday, March 18, 2013

Asher's Kindergarten Round Up


Today, Chris and I went with our last child, Asher, to Kindergarten Round up. We felt like the old parents as many were there for the first time. I could have stood up front and presented! Asher was so excited to go, running in front of us up to the school. This surprised me as he has been saying how he did not want to go. Now, things have changed, thankfully.
Once inside the doors, a crowd of parents and scared kiddos were gathering in the hall. Quickly, Asher was swooped down the hall in one direction towards the Kindergarten rooms while Chris and I were directed the other way towards the library.
The information was the same. Then, it was the counselor's turn to present. She ends her presentation with a poem that always makes me cry. I tried really hard to distract myself so I would not cry, but it did not work. I squirmed in my seat, make Chris annoyed, until the poem was over and I was struggling to hold back my emotions. I think this was the poem...

The First Day of Kindergarten

I used to be little, but not anymore,
Tomorrow I'll get up and walk out the door.
I'm going to Kindergarten--it's the first time for me.
It's great to be big, but I'm scared as can be.
My tummy's in knots. You want to know why?
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe I'll cry.
When Dad leaves the school and I'm there all alone,
I'm thinking that maybe I'll want to go home.
But wait--Mommy said I'll play lots of new games,
And meet lots of friends--I can learn all their names.
The first day of Kindergarten, oh there's so much to do!
There's painting and books and a big playground, too!
I used to be little, but not anymore.
Tomorrow I'll get up and walk out the door.
I'm going to Kindergarten--it's my first day, you see.
It's great to be big! I'm so glad that I'm me.

Asher had a great time! We walked in to the classroom to find him singing and doing the actions to a song. I remember the girls at round up, both staring at their toes scared to death. Asher, well, he was having a blast! He was stuck to the side of his friend Cameron, so we were happy they had each other to overcome any fears.
It makes me so sad that all my kids are growing up and going to school. I have loved and cherish my years at home with them. I will miss their hugs, laughter and many "I love you, Mommy" during the day while they are all in school. The plans for me are still up in the air, but I am sure I will keep busy doing something. I hope to get a part time nursing job to fill my nights until I can get a pharmaceutical job. At least the nursing job can be scaled back during the summer months so I can still enjoy those long summer days with them.
 I am not going to count the days. But, I will cherish these last few months with my little boy home alone with me. We will go out to lunch, go shopping, go to the park, take bike rides, play cars and just enjoy each other as long as we can.
Gosh, growing up is so tough! Asher is ready, I just need to get there.

No comments: