Friday, December 20, 2013

The Austin Family in 2013

We are grateful to have survived 2013 with our family intact. Admittedly, we had a rough year. Again, Chris has been front and center for most of the stress. He resigned from the Tampa position in early spring and took another job within Northrop Grumman. That made the move and travels to Florida off but job security was not good.   He then set out to get a new job. He landed a job as a UX Designer at Solutionary in Omaha. He is now doing something he enjoys and has professional goals for the New Year. He ended the year in a great professional place. In the meantime, he started working out at Cross fit Omaha, and Chris and I started eating Paleo (no dairy, no grains – meat, vegetables and a little fruit with some nuts and good fat is key). Since September 1, Chris has lost 20 pounds and is quite lean! It is crazy. We both like eating Paleo and will continue to eat Paleo at least 90% of the time. He looks and feels great, and that is the important part. When Chris is not working or working it, he plays soccer or play station with the kids.

Alivia is now 9 ½ years old and is in the 4th grade. She likes to play with her friend Lizzie, play Lego friends, or ride her bike around Shadow Lake. In 2012, Alivia ran 3 5K runs, one with Girls on the Run, one in my hometown of Shelby, Iowa, and one for Heart Heros. I ran all of them with her, which was quite fun yet challenging. Alivia is quite the little runner for her age! She plans to play soccer this spring and run with Girls on the Run.




Addison is now 7 and in the 2nd Grade. Addison is still seen walking around with one of her many stuffed dogs. She started taking piano lessons in the fall and is quite good. She loves to play Bella’s Lullaby from Twilight and is now playing Jingle Bells. Addison just had her first Reconciliation and is preparing for First Communion this spring.

 

Asher just celebrated his 6th birthday and is well into Kindergarten. He had no problem with the transition from home to school (that was just me!). He played spring and fall soccer and wants to play again. He is about to start basketball at the local YMCA. That should be interesting since Asher is about 5% in height! Asher likes to ride his bike (without training wheels he wants me to point out), play with his friends, and has an endless supply of boy energy to keep Chris and me quite active.

2013 has been a transitional year for me as I kissed all three kiddos good-bye as they all went to school. I have had a hard time just sitting still since. I have worked a lot of hours as a nurse at the Med Center where I still officially work “as needed” but am scheduled about 4 shifts every 2 weeks. I work at night and sleep all day until I pick up the kids. So, Chris and I rarely see each other awake while I’m working. I continue to run, work out to T25, cross fit and Turbo Fire and have a goal to run a full 26.2 mile marathon this spring. I can’t wait to get that checked off my to do list. J  


 
Pippa, our Papillon dog, continues to keep us on our toes. She just came back from being retrained and we are hoping it worked. Needless to say, I think we have 4 kids, one furry.

We did not do as much traveling as we wanted to this year with Chris’ job changes. He did take a hiking trip with his family in July while the kids and I went to my parents’ Lake home at the Lake of the Ozarks a couple times. Chris and I took our annual anniversary trip in August, this year to Estes Park. That is a very pretty place to hike and visit.

 

We have big plans for 2014! I want to run a marathon, Chris and his brother want to summit Longs Peak in Estes Park, Colorado, Chris and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in August, and we may plan a fun winter trip to Florida before next Christmas. We hope to make our home a 5 bedroom home starting in January, too, so Chris can have his much needed office when he works from home. It is going to be an adventurous new year!

From our Family to yours, Merry Christmas and God bless you in 2014!




1 comment:

Courtney F said...

I am so glad that your 2013 ended better than it started. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Thank you so much for all of your support this year. It touched me deeply. I would like to get together soon. Other than the master's program, our winter is looking a lot emptier than the fall and little by little, I am doing better about living life too.

Here's to 2014, may it be even better for the Austin family!